Friday, September 4, 2015

Miss K's First Day Of School

Dear Miss K,

It has arrived.  Your first day of kindergarten.  I worry and I fret, but I know you will do fine.  I worry that you won't know what bus to get on to after school.  I worry about you finding your classroom okay after recess.  I worry that other kids will be mean to you because you're so much taller than them.  I worry that you'll be alone or afraid.  But you're smart and funny and likeable and so my fears are unfounded.

You've grown up so much over this past year.  Your reading is phenomenal and I worry that the teacher won't be able to keep up with you.  However, there's still lots for you to practise, like your writing and colouring and math.  I also worry that your smarts might get to be bothersome to your teacher and I want her to love you.

This morning, you started the day off by sitting and petting Shandi in your bed.  You made your way out to the couch to watch your morning cartoons, dragging your favourite blanket behind you.  You took your time deciding what you wanted for breakfast, so that was a hurried affair.  Then, it was time to pack your lunch, get dressed, snap a few pics and go!

We had a bit of trouble finding your classroom, but once we did, Mommy's fears relaxed a little.  What an inviting, joyous classroom of which to be a part!  Your teacher welcomed you in and showed you where your cubby was, to hang up your book bag and where to put on your shoes.  She snapped a quick pic of you and I and then that was it…time for Mommy to go!  A quick kiss and a hug and off you wandered to play with the car race track.  Nary a look over your shoulder…I know, because I looked back over mine.

There were no tears from me.  Just a sense of accomplishment.  A "we made it" type feeling…we've arrived at the beginning of your school career and you, my girl, are going to soar!

Andrew and I spent a quiet day at home…doing laundry, cleaning the kitchen and making the biggest mess possible in the living room! He enjoyed having me all to himself and I look forward to more special days with my baby while you're having fun at school.

When I picked you up, you were quick to tell me about your day.  Who you played with, what you ate, how many recesses you got, that you pooped and wiped all on your own, about the craft you did, what books you want to order and on and on.  You chatted all the way home.  Methinks I won't need any of those "how to get your child to talk about their day" tips to get information out of you!

And that was it.  Your first day was over.  Next week there'll still be anxiety from Mama as you'll begin taking the bus.  Luckily it picks you up right across the street, but I worry about you and the bus after school…how you'll know which one to get on and how you'll know when to get off the bus.  I have fears of you being left on the bus and cruising all the back to the depot!

Love,
Your Forever Anxious Mama

But Mama! I have to pee!

Just stand still and pose normal, dammit!

When the cat's away, the mouse will play!

Your first piece of kindergarten work!



1 comment: