Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Flip Flop - Covid Edition

Whelp...since last writing, there's been a couple of changes. Last post, I was a business owner on Central. Since then, I've become a home business owner and then BACK to Central. I'm nothing if not indecisive :) Allow me to explain...

When COVID hit and I was forced to shut down my pretty little shop, I scrambled...I had bills to pay and a lot of overhead to cover...what was I supposed to do? So, I dug deep and pushed the online and delivery/pick-up portion of my store. I slowly started bringing home more and more products (those that were proving to be most popular) so that I didn't have to keep running down to the store every time an order came in. Eventually, it looked like I had half the store in my living room! March was a disaster month, sales wise. But April rolled around and knocked my sales record out of the park, ALL THANKS to my incredibly supportive customers! They called, they messaged, they commented...inquiring about products with me first and wanting to support local. You have NO IDEA how much I appreciated every. single. transaction.

As April rolled into May, my brain started to formulate a plan...if I could be this successful with online sales, why not just move the business home and save myself the overhead? I was able to talk Mike into the idea. He was resistant at first...a lot. He said no...just stick it out until the lease is over. I said no...I want this and it's happening. I eventually won. Poor Mike...he's sometimes just along for the ride :)

May was another successful month and I was confident in my plan. Then June came along and I lost a potential sale because my business was out of my home. So, I threw it out there to my customers as to which they prefer - online shopping or in person. The results were overwhelming...in a store (not in a house)! After some talks with fellow business owners, I made up my mind (again!) that I was going to stay put on Central. Poor Mike again...now I had to convince him why Central was the better place to be. We (read: he) had already started moving home (and putting up) the grid wall and we redid flooring in the basement in anticipation of the store, as well as some door renos (to keep the cats from being downstairs). Le sigh.

And so? It's the day before my re-opening and I am confident in my decision - Central is the place to be. It is home to my sweet shop (and a lot of other great businesses!). Also? I've got one hell of a husband. And lastly? I should have been a lawyer...I am top notch at arguments and convincing ;)

And so it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment